Friday, March 18, 2011

"Josh's Girlfriend"

Ok.  So this one is a bit of a rant.  Bear with me.

This semester I have been forced to take Stage Lighting so I can get my degree.  Like it's essential or something.... Josh is taking Costume Construction at that time. Talk about a messed up universe.  I'm pretty sure the entire universe stops for those 50 minutes because it's so confused.  Anyhow.  I have heard how tough Ron's tests are and such and I have NEVER understood lights.  My good friend Jamie does them and while we were both at Southwester, I always was in awe of her for knowing all this stuff that was so utterly confusing to me and so completely not interesting.

So I've been busting my ass to get a good grade in that class.  I have read the book, took detailed notes and asked Josh questions that I have been confused about for the tests.  I've gotten 97 and 100 on both of the tests!  Super happy about that!

We had an assignment in class that I surprisingly really enjoyed.  We were to cue a song of our choice in the light lab.  I chose the ridiculous song by Britney Spears:  Bombastic Love.  I had so much fun!  I had used a board like the one in the lab at Southwestern (O Lordy, the fears that the name 'Eagerheart' brings to light board ops) so I knew how to set cues and use the board to it's full potential.  I used a gobo.  That was the only part Josh had to help me on.  He was gone the entire week I worked on this and came back on Sunday and let me run it for him.  He told me it was impossible to use a gobo on the lights in the lab, but I could use the ERS on the stand in the room.  That was it.  As soon as I finished my kickass show in class everyone said, "Wow.  Do you know Josh Taylor?"  

What the hell.  Seriously?  I spent 5 hours in this light lab by myself designing this.  Josh was not even in town.  He had no phone for me to call and answer questions.  

The excuse for me getting such high scores on the tests is that I am dating Josh Taylor.  How the hell does that get me good scores?  One of his roommates is in that class.  He didn't get a high score.  3 or 4 or the other students in the class are his good friends and they didn't get as high as scores as I do.  It's because I asked for help.  I asked intelligent questions of him.  Everyone else in that class could have.  No one did.  

I just get enraged when people when people attribute my hard work to Josh because I'm his girlfriend.  I'm just an intelligent human being who asks questions.  Josh isn't that bad ass, I am....

3 comments:

  1. I. Love. You. Oh my God. For what it's worth, I think you are an incredibly intelligent woman who can do things on her own.

    Fuck anyone who thinks differently.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YESSS! You still have an identity and are allowed to be successful at things because you are a successful person!

    Also, I am proud of you for working so hard on something that isn't your emphasis, you have right attitude. ANYTHING you can learn about theater is valuable as a theater artist, and since we are PAYING for our education we should get all we can out of it or we might as well just burn out money.

    GOOD FOR YOU! BRAVO!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahahaha. Oh, as much as I love Joshua, closing line...perfect.

    ReplyDelete