Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Giving of Thanks

With Thanksgiving having been very prevalent in the past week through dinner preparations with friends and with the excitement of anticipation for the real deal tomorrow, I've been thinking a lot about what I'm thankful for, where I'm at, and how I got here.  One person comes to mind as a strong influence in my life, really responsible for everything I am doing right now.  Julie Miller.

I met Julie at Southwestern College 3 years ago and knew immediately this was someone I had to be friends with.  She was, and still is, literally bat-shit crazy.  She is so full of ideas and dreams it's impossible not to dream yourself when you are around her and think of ALL the possibilities.  After a year and a quarter together at Southwestern College, Julie began to question whether this was the right school for her.  The same question had been flowing through my mind at different moments in time through my 2 and a half years there.  It wasn't until Julie was bold enough to press me into examining why this question was reoccurring and why I hadn't done anything about it that I really examined it.  Along with her, I weighed my options, the pros and cons of being in Winfield, the reality of going somewhere else, the costs financially, the options of other places... Every question was turned over and over between the two of us in that month before we decided to go through with it.  I remember the nervousness we had of hiding our college visits as being sick and not making it to class... I remember the terror of going into Roger and Allyson and telling them I would be going to ESU next semester.... Our last party in Winfield in which I had to say goodbye to so many fantastic people I had gotten so close to...  Hardest thing I've ever done.  But definitely the best.

Because of this transfer I have met so many more wonderful people!  I love working in the costume shop here, I love the options of classes I have - I have found a hidden talent and interest in scenic design! - I have been given great guidance by the professors here, the magic of ESU Summer Theatre has prevailed once again this past year as one of the best periods of my life - I love it here!  My first semester here I was doubting my transfer.  I didn't enjoy it.  But constant conversations with Julie have opened my eyes to looking at the present rather than the past or future.  I have met the man of my dreams and have a solid idea for what I would like in my future, but I'm not so worried it turns out exactly like that.  I can fret and worry about what I have done and what I will do, but I can change those.  I can only influence them by what I am doing at the present.  Julie Miller is the epitome of that and had made me realize that is the way to live life.

So what am I thankful for?  Friends, family, my boyfriend, this school - it all adds up to Julie Miller.  Thank you chica!

1 comment:

  1. I just re-read this. I love you so much Bri, you have been such a backbone for me these past few years, I admire and respect you in so many ways that I'll probably be too shy to ever admit, but you are such an inspiration to everyone who crosses your path.

    ReplyDelete