Saturday, April 30, 2011

Frustration

I'm sorry, but as I get closer and closer to graduation the bear of senioritous comes out more ferociously every minute.... 

l am definitely ready for a higher level of theatre whether it's educational or not.  That is one observance that has been made very clear to me during this past semester.  

One of my biggest problems with the rehearsal process is the way people warm up.  They don't.  I'm not saying I have always warmed up before rehearsals - it is something I realized was important once I came here.  I have brought it up a handful of times in post mortoms.  It doesn't matter.  People still do not warm up.  As an actor, we use our voices and bodies as our tool.  Everyone firmly believes in warming up before a production, but they do not see the need to for rehearsals.  Why?  Isn't the rehearsal process for us to grow and develop the play?  Jim Bartruff even gave a grand speech about how important it is to take at least a handful of minutes to warm up a bit and menatlly prepare yourself before a rehearsal.  He talked about how opera singers did that and how professional actors even have outside coaches just for warming up before a rehearsal.  A few people changed their ways.  Most still mosied on in 5 minutes before rehearsal eating their dinner for the evening.  We had to wait multiple times for people who were late, who didn't have their rehearsal clothing on, who were out running around in the hallway.  

Not only do a lot of students lack the motivation and need for warming up, but many lack any knowledge of the play before company meetings.  One fine actor even stated that he never read a play before the first read through, he just watches the movies of them.  Us small Kansas town college students put on Shakespeare this semester and many devoted very little time to the script.  People did not bother to look up words.  People would be completely oblivious to what their speech meant until a few rehearsals in when Jim would stop them and finally hand it to them.  It is disheartening to see fellow practitioners in this area take their work so lightly.  How can we expect others to see the validating points of our art if we cannot?

Some people still do not know exactly what they are saying.  It's the 3rd and second to last show.  And not just small roles, but major ones.  It is disappointing.  

Another part that is very upsetting to me is the lack of help in the shops.  During production week we were still craming to get things finished in the scene shop.  Nancy asked all the actors after first dress to come in an help the following Monday afternoon because they were way behind.  3 out of 20 some actors came in.  3.  That is it.  And they were the same one who have been in and out to help for the length of the build.  3.  How disappointing is that?!  On Monday night the actors were sitting in the house getting notes and Nancy, Josh and Al were beginning to paint.  Only one actor asked if they needed help afterwards.  One.  We were there until 1 that night.  Things got finished and the set and costumes looked great!  But most of the actors felt they were above getting their hands dirty.  They are ac-tohrs.  They should not have to do this stuff.  HOW ELSE DO YOU LEARN?!?!??!  It just baffles me the amount of disregard we have for each others' work in this small department.  We are a generalist program.  You are not going to walk away with a degree in theatre with an emphasis in anything.  So you damn well better know the facets of theatre.

Ok.  That was really negative.  There have been some super amazing and beautiful things come form this show.  And I will write about those later.  I just needed to get some of those negative juices from my mind....  I am forgetting the bad and enjoying the good as I enter my last undergraduate show night....

4 comments:

  1. Hmm. Agree with some but disagree with others. Things are just seen through different eyes I guess.

    I didn't notice anyone not understand what they're saying, I at least never got that impression.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know a lot of people disagree with my views. That's okay. I just have a problem with people in their first 2-2.5 years not trying a lot of stuff. I am in no way saying that in your last year or so that you should not focus on what you want to do - that's the time to do it! I just meant that people shouldn't spend all 4 years JUST on one area. Come in with an idea, explore/collaborate, emphasize in your last bit of time here, go to grad school and specialize.

    And I was probably a bit harsh about people not understanding what they were saying. I felt that everyone had a general idea of what their lines meant, but not always what their words meant. Does that make sense? It worked fine for our audiences. There were just a few lit/English majors and a couple of other theatre majors who saw the show and saw the same problem. And I expected a little more out of some of those people - i know they were capable of being better. But overall it was a huge success and done well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um, THANK YOU about the warm-ups. Warm-ups are something I have tried to get everyone to do during every show I did at ESU and few others thought they were important at all. Most people usually just laughed at me whenever I brought it up. I'm so glad someone else sees their significance.

    Because even if you don't warm up with the group, you still have to warm up, dammit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Warms up= yes, absolutely.
    GROUP warm ups= debatable... with myself leaning towards pointless. Just my opinion. Saying big booty just usually causes me to become vocally strained and hoarse. I like to warm up after I am in costume/make-up. No matter how "warm" I am, any buzz that I get is killed by sitting down for thirty minutes putting on make-up.

    ReplyDelete